- The harvest, possession, and sale of river herring is prohibited.
- All fishing shall be conducted in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 130 of the General Laws, as amended, and also in accordance with the regulations of the Town of Wellfleet.
- On November 9, 2005, the Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission approved a three year moratorium on the harvest, possession, and sale of river herring. The Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries has also filed appropriate regulations implementing the three year moratorium from January 1, 2006 until January 1, 2009. The above regulations apply to all towns in the state including Wellfleet.
- There will be no disturbing of the waters or placing any object or substance within the waters of the Herring River, or within six feet of either end. There will be no littering of the land or water area
- The regulations will be enforced by the Herring Warden (and deputies) , the Wellfleet Police Department and the Division of Environmental Law Enforcement officers.
- The penalty for violation of any of these regulations shall be $100. Possession of river herring shall carry the penalty of $50 per fish, each fish constituting a separate offense.
- All persons using said property shall do so at their own risk, according to M.G.L Chapter 21, Section 17C.
300 Main Street (Mailing)
39 Kendrick Avenue (Physical)Wellfleet, MA 02667