Transfer Station / Recycling Center
|Summer Hours||Winter Hours|
Summer Hours Starting May 26, 2017
Please note CLOSED
|CLOSED Wednesdays & Thursdays
|PAY AS YOU THROW (PAYT)|
- The Wellfleet Pay As You Throw (PAYT) program began on December 1, 2013
- The Transfer Station will only accept PURPLE PAYT bags stamped with the Wellfleet logo and PAYT information. PAYT bags from other towns will not be accepted.
- PAYT bags are for household trash only - not for recyclable material
- Wellfleet's purple PAYT bags are available in three sizes:
- Wellfleet PAYT bags are available at the following locations: Mid-Cape Home Centers (Orleans & Wellfleet), Rite Aid (Orleans), Shaw's, South Wellfleet General Store, Stop & Shop (Orleans & Provincetown), Wellfleet Marketplace, Wellfleet Spirits Shoppe
- PAYT bags are not available for purchase at the Transfer Station.
- If you are experiencing financial hardship and are income eligible,* please contact Health Agent Hillary Greenberg-Lemos at (508) 349-0308 to see if you qualify to receive free Wellfleet PAYT bags. (*Income eligibility includes but is not limited to persons who reside in low-income housing or affordable accessory dwellings, enrolled in Medicaid, Mass Health, DVA benefits recipient or any other subsidized health care network, family members accepted in free or reduced lunch fee programs, WIC, food stamps, Meals on Wheels or any other nutritional supplement program).
- Pay-As-You Throw FAQs
|RATES FOR HOUSEHOLD WASTE|
- Ordinary household waste that is generated in a single-family dwelling will be accepted with a valid residential Wellfleet Transfer Station sticker and must be in specific Wellfleet designated “Pay as You Throw” bags (Effective 12/1/13). Residential waste may also be accepted with payment of a one time user fee.
- Or use purple PAY AS YOU THROW BAGS for household trash only - not for recyclable material
- Recycling is always free!
- For Beach / Transfer Station permits call (508) 349-9818 (seasonal)
|RECYCLE it's free!|
- Newspapers and magazines
- Catalogs, junk mail, phonebooks
- Home and office paper, letters, envelopes, file folders
- Cardboard, empty pizza boxes, cereal boxes, egg cartons
- NEW! Milk, juice cartons & soup cartons
- NEW! Plastic bags and baggies are now accepted for recycling
- Tin, steel, aluminum cans & lids
- Rigid Plastics including plastic toys, buckets, flower pots, chairs, etc.
- Plastic containers labeled 1-5, and 7 check bottom of container for a symbol like this:
- NO PLASTIC FOAM (Styrofoam)
- Please sort in the returnables area
- Bottles and jars only
- NO broken glass, window glass, mirrors, light bulbs, glassware or ceramics
- 95% of textiles are recyclable. Place clean & dry items in the collection boxes or donate to local thrifts & animal shelters
- Grass and leaves (Please Note: No Landscape or Commercial entities.)
- Christmas trees
- Branches 6’ long x 2” in diameter maximum
- NO vines, tree stumps, or large timbers
- Bulky Items: Carpets, mattresses, TVs, computer monitors, large appliances, broken furniture
- Scrap Metal: All metal (except for tin and aluminum cans)
- Demolition: Brick, concrete, painted wood, window glass, clean gypsum wallboard (Please Note:We do not accept asbestos, creosol or hazardous waste.)
- Mercury: Compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs), fluorescent tubing, thermometers, thermostats, cell phone batteries, button batteries, rechargeable batteries, car batteries. Note: It is illegal to throw mercury in the trash.
- Cell Phones & Chargers: See attendant
- Pharmaceuticals disposal drop-box is located at the Police Department (508) 349-3702
The Town will maintain a Swap Shop for the use of Wellfleet residents only. At all times, items to be left off at the Swap Shop are subject to approval of the attendant on duty. Items must be in at least fair and reusable condition. Appliances and other bulky items may be subject to the normal fee for those items. Proof of residency in Wellfleet will be required.
Please Note: Vehicles not having a valid Transfer Station sticker that are driven by residents, nonresident taxpayers, or visitors of Wellfleet will be admitted to the Recycling Area of Transfer Station for the sole purpose of depositing acceptable items for recycling. This does not include access to the Swap Shop.
Recycling to 3:30