June 3, 2020
- Changes to Recreational Shellfishing on June 1
- As of June 1, the Indian Neck recreational shellfishing area is the only place that recreational shellfish harvesting is allowed in Wellfleet through September 30.
- Recreational shellfishing is allowed on Sundays and Wednesdays only through September 30.
- Burton Baker Beach is now open to shellfishing.
- Recreational Shellfishing Reminders
- Three-inch PVC rings for measuring oysters are at each of the three entrances to the Indian Neck recreational shellfishing area. We are heading into prime spawning season, so it is more important than ever to measure your oysters to make sure they are at least three inches long.
- You are allowed to take one 10-quart (wire) basket of shellfish a week. The new week starts on Sundays.
- There are new signs at each entrance explaining best shellfishing practices during the COVID-19 pandemic. While we understand that groups of people shellfish together, we ask that you keep a minimum of six feet distance between your group and other people who are shellfishing.
- Wellfleet does not issue family permits. Permits are individual, meaning one person, one basket, one rake.
- Town News – Spread the Word
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Town of Wellfleet has decided not to issue seasonal recreational shellfishing permits. Annual permits will still be issued.
- You can now buy your shellfishing permits online just like you do beach stickers. You can still order them through the mail too. Details here.
- Permits are valid for each calendar year no matter when you purchase them. You cannot use your 2019 permit to harvest shellfish in 2020.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we deal with many issues due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We hope you enjoy your social distancing time out on the Indian Neck flats bringing oysters and clams home for your table!
Contact Nancy at [email protected] or 617-901-7193 7193 for things you think we should be communicating to the shellfishing community about, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. Thank you!
Nancy Civetta John Mankevetch Chris Manulla Drew Ryan
Shellfish Constable Assistant Shellfish Constable Deputy Shellfish Constable Deputy Shellfish Constable
|April 17, 2020||126.79 KB|
|March 13, 2020||131.88 KB|
|March 4, 2020||139.82 KB|
|November 27, 2019||166.58 KB|
|November 12, 2019||145.58 KB|
|September 30, 2019||135.87 KB|
|September 13, 2019||168.16 KB|
|May 24, 2019||162 KB|
|April 29, 2019||143 KB|
|April 12, 2019||157.52 KB|
|March 26, 2019||151.87 KB|
|February 22, 2019||48.74 KB|
|October 25, 2018||453.23 KB|
|September 15, 2018||453.92 KB|
|May 31, 2018||441.99 KB|
|April 17, 2018||453.66 KB|
|January 16, 2018||391.77 KB|
|September 29, 2017||485.43 KB|