***Healthy reminders from the Wellfleet and Truro Board of Health***
The most effective time to control mosquitoes is before they become flying adults. Prevent larval mosquitoes from developing on your property by dumping out the water in the standing containers after it rains and keeping your birdbath fresh.
There are simple steps that you can take to protect yourself and your family from mosquito bites, and the illnesses they can cause.
- Protect yourself from illness by doing simple things:
- Use insect repellents any time you are outdoors
- Wear long-sleeved clothing
- Schedule outdoor activities to avoid the hours from dusk to dawn during peak mosquito season
- Repair damaged window and door screens
- Remove standing water from the areas around your home
The Towns of Wellfleet, Truro and Provincetown are members of the Cape Cod Mosquito Control Project and citizens can contact this agency if experiencing a mosquito problem. (https://ccmcp.net ) If you choose to hire a private pest control company to spray your yard, you should ask them to provide product labels and specific information about what they will be applying, even if the products are advertised as organic or natural. You should also check to make sure the pesticide applicator is legally licensed through the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources.
In the meantime, you can eliminate mosquito breeding areas on your property simply and safely!